RE: [ihc] sytnetic lubricants

## >> ---I would look into buying anything in larger quantities and
## >> seeing what
## >> the discount would be. Like Mac says, he uses the same motor
## >> oil in his
## >> transmission and TC as he does in his motor. Too bad the
## >> differentials don't
## >> call for the same thing or he would really be in business, but buying
## >> synthetic motor oil in gallon jugs and if found, 5 gallon
## >> buckets will show
## >> better on the pocket than buying in quarts. They also give you better
## >> containers to put your used oil in. I can't gather up enough
## >> to get oils in
## >> 55 gallon drums, but it would be ideal if I had a controlled
## >> climate shop to
## >> store it in. That would for one, lessen the cost I am paying
## >> to the EPA for
## >> containers and two, give me about a lifetime supply of
## >> synthetic gear oil to
## >> run in my axles and twice that to run in my transmission and
## >> TC. I will
## >> continue to buy synthetic motor oil for my motor, but it
## >> would be nice to
## >> get it in containers larger than 1 gallon. I have having a
## >> half gallon left
## >> over and despise having quarts laying around... especially
## >> when half full.

Mobil-1 synthetics are available in 5-quart jugs.  i don't know if you can
get it in bigger jugs or buckets than that, but i know it can be found in
the 5-quart size.  that's what i usually buy it in.  when i can find 'em
(sometimes that particular size in 15w-50 gets a little scarce).

also, for those who like dino oil, if you can find a Chevron truckstop or
service centre, they almost always have Delo (heavy-grade industrial motor
oil) in the single gallon (and i believe multi-gallon) containers.  that's
what i used to use before Hoffs put me onto Mobil-1.  if i were going to
stick with dino oil for my SVs, Delo is what i'd keep.

i do not know if other oils can be purchased in larger containers than a
quart or gallon at the local parts houses.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi