From: owner-ihc@domain.elided [mailto:owner-ihc@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
John Hofstetter
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 1:28 PM
To: Mac @ TRIAD; ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] lineset questions

At 9:27 PM -0700 11/6/03, Mac @ TRIAD wrote:
>okay, so i'm looking at the linesets for my two TravelAlls, in trying
>find information on Rocky's windscreen trim questions.
>
>as i'm scanning the 1110's lineset, i see something i've never noticed
>before.  the eighth item down the list, below the axle and locking hub
>listings, it says "02930 0004 D  tie rod protector".  now this truck
happens
>to have one of those steering stabilizer shocks mounted on it.  would
that
>"tie rod protector" listing be for one of those types of steering
shocks?
>or is it for something else?
>
>granted, these aren't the original axles from the truck.  these could
have
>come with a stabilizer, or it could have been added later.  what i want
>know is...  what is a "tie rod protector" as listed on the lineset?
>
>--Mac

Funny thing about your post, Mac, is that for 25 years or so, I
called that "thing" on my Scout as my tie rod protector, because
looking at form and function that is probably what it does best.

Digesters told me that I was miscalling the thing, and I conceded
that it also held the two front springs in alignment, so that it
didn't have to be a tie rod protector.

But, no, they aren't referring to the steering shock device. I don't
remember specifically what the tie rod protector looked like on my
1210, but it came with no steering stabilizing shock.

John Hofstetter