[ihc] HMMWV, Hummer and other two-piece wheels...

The wheels on these trucks are indeed tubeless.  They actually have an
O-ring between the halves when they bolt together.
The nuts holding the two halves are also different than your average nuts.
(giggling subsides...)
The nuts on the halves are 5-sided and require a special tool, and are
technically -NOT- field serviceable,
which is why the HMMW, and Hummer, etc. come with what is called Run-flat,
which is a large Aluminum or Magnesium annulus that
mounts inside the tire and provides a ride height suitable for driving at a
considerably reduced speed but is rated for ~50 miles,
a distance determined to be enough to rid a driver/team of danger.  The
5-point socket does not come with the truck and is usually only found in
the motor pool shop.  The mounting studs for the wheel to the hub are still
the requisite 8 lugs that most 3/4T trucks have.

So, tubeless, run-flat not field serviceable, and different nuts.

Also, the sheer number of nuts holding the halves together (seems to me it
was something like 13?) never seems to deter owners from replacing the
5-sides with more commonly available 6-sides and then removing those while
a tire is leaking, but still aired up, and thusly blowing the O-ring, the
wheel half, and the run-flat ring directly into themselves or others.

All disclaimers apply.

The only way I know this is that shortly after I got into Scouts,  I also
got into my lifted Suburban and then to Hummers, and I used to hang with
those guys and hit some trails...  Seen them, heard them, and worked on
them.  So, this is all IIRC ~ 6 years ago.

Enjoy.

JoelB