[ihc] Stripped the 800 window regulator

Winter arrived last week, so I finally decided it was time to put the
hardtop back on my wife's 68 V8 800, "Oscar"

We dragged the hardtop into the garage, then I used 4 ratchet straps to
hoist it up, backed under, and got the top installed without too much
trouble.

I remember looking at the rolled down windows and thought, "I should roll
those up.. nahh, we'll just do it in the morning.."

So this morning I started the Scout and drove it out of the garage to warm
it up, and thought, "I'd better roll the windows up.."

Well, the driver's side window has always been agonizingly slow to roll
up.  It was being really stubborn this morning at around 5degF.

It used to be, I'd apply pressure via the crank, wait a few seconds, the
window would inch up a little, then apply pressure to the crank again..
wait.. a slow process, to be sure.

This morning it didn't even seem to be creeping up slowly, so more crank
pressure.. until, of course, I stripped the window crank.

I tore the top "felt" portion of the door off to get access to the window,
but couldn't get a prybar to turn the regular gear to roll the window up.

Removing the access panel to the rear (but still inside face) of the door
didn't help, nor did destroying the rubber boot around the regulator while
searching for the release pin (that wasn't installed) to remove the
handle.

Pulling up on the window didn't do much for me, and a prybar on the window
frame only got the glass up 1/2".. hitting the regulator "gear" with a
screwdriver and hammer combination met with minimal success.

Ultimately, the nicely warmed up 4x4 Scout got put back in the garage, and
the still-iced-over 2wd Toy pickup was pressed into service.

Looks like I need to tear further into the door and remove the entire
inner panel to get a really good look at the regulator mechanism that
ruined my morning.

I believe I have an earlier 800 door I can swap out, or rob parts from.
IIRC, it has the twist door handle, vs the push button.  Are the window
regulator assemblies substantially different?

If I remove the inner panel and unbolt the regulator assembly from the
panel (leaving the regulator in the door) can I at least fight the window
to the UP position?

Probably overdue to look at replacing some felt and channels and making
the window roll up and down with ease, instead of requiring gear-stripping
torque input. ;)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
Bunch of SIIs unfit for daily use, a T'all with a bad rear end, a 2wd
T'ette, a 4x4 pickup w/o engine, and a V8 800 with one window rolled down.