RE: [ihc] RA-15 / RA-20

## >> You're making a lot more out of this than needed.
## >>
## >> Most likely, you have an RA15. It could even be an RA20.
## >> Either came on a
## >> 130/1300/1310 truck.

you may be right, and i may be taking this too seriously.  two things i know
for certain:  first, the axle came out of a 1966 1500A, not a 1300.  i noted
the 1500 badges, saw the axle, and bought the truck for $100 solely for that
axle.  Second, it is larger than an RA15.  if the RA20 shares the same
pumpkin with an RA15, then this is neither of those.  i had the two axles
side by side at the time of the swap, and this newer one is noticeably
larger than what it replaced.  the axle it replaced was an RA15 with 14"
drums and six on seven and a quarter lug pattern.

## >> IH used the 6 on 7.25 lug pattern on pickups and travelalls
## >> through 1968.
## >> Anything from a 130/1300 on down had this pattern. I would be
## >> surprised if
## >> the 140 or 150/1500 could not have been ordered that way as
## >> well, since IH
## >> did "fleet-like" things for their customers.

this is what i believe the B140 that Joel F bought and sold to Ken D. has on
the rear.  that one has what appears to be the same axle as what i have,
same six on seven and a quarter lug pattern, same drums, same pumpkin,
larger than an RA15/RA20.  if i recall, that particular truck was purchased
for some government agency...  perhaps as part of a multi-truck order?  i do
not know if more than one truck was purchased when my old 1500 was ordered.
come to think of it, my B122 was a railroad truck, and i don't know if
*they* bought more than just the one or not, either.  would be interesting
things to find out.

how many trucks would have had to be ordered to get special treatment like
that?  if you wanted an odd lug pattern or weird wheelbase or something else
out of the ordinary?  would two be enough?  five?  ten?  could you really
get just about anything you wanted on any truck, as has been implied in the
past?  what were the limits?  this inquiring mind wants to know.

## >> In 69 they changed these same axles to an 8 on 6.5 pattern,
## >> just like the
## >> one ford uses. Same logic applies. It does not follow that
## >> since your axle
## >> came from a rig that was all factory original that it would
## >> have been a
## >> standard offering. I wouldn't stress over it. If and when the
## >> time comes to
## >> replace parts on the axle, you will be able to ID the
## >> components or know
## >> what replaces the whole axle.

mostly i'm interested in defining what changed from the B series '59-'62 to
the C and later series.  why did they go to smaller brakes on the RA15 when
they switched to 8 lugs?  why are the RA25 and RA30 listed in my operator's
manual not the same as the actual axles other people have?  it probably
doesn't make a lick of difference to anybody what the answers are, and it
won't change *anything* when i finally get that old truck running again, but
i'm curious and i'd like to find out as much as i can.  it's become mostly
just a quest for more information, rather than anything useful.  just trying
to learn, i guess.

if what i'm hearing all around is correct (and i'm sure it is), if i'm not
*real* careful with the brakes on that rear axle, when one or the other of
the drums wears out, it'll be the end of the road for the whole shebang, and
i'll be hunting for a new axle again.  which, oddly enough, brings up
another question.  we know the rear drums are unobtainium.  what about front
drums?  i believe the ones on there now are 12"x2-1/4", might be 12"x2-1/2"
on a regular I-beam axle.  can *those* still be had, or am i gonna be
hunting up a new front axle too when those drums wear out?

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi