RE: [ihc] anti-backfire valve

## >> All the valves are is either a mesh or series of passages
## >> that, supposedly,
## >> a flame can't travel through, like a mini marine carb flame arrester.
## >> Technically, the flame arrester description is probably
## >> better than what
## >> I've always called them, so pays your money and makes your
## >> choices.  8-)

somehow this doesn't quite answer the question i posed, though.  this is all
assuming the flame comes up through the carb, right?  into the air cleaner?
and these devices are to keep the flame from getting from the carb/air
cleaner into the valve cover or crank case and starting a fire in there with
the air/oil mixture?  do i have that right?

if i've got that part right, then the question is...  with an oil bath air
cleaner, where the air cleaner itself is full of oil and surrounded by air,
what's to keep a backfire up through the carb from setting the oil bath on
fire?  same oil, same air, as what's in the valve cover or crankcase, right?
therefore, same threat from a backfire of a fire in the air cleaner as there
is for the valve cover or crankcase, if not more of a threat, yes?

## >> PS: Mac, you still haven't given me a wish list of prizes
## >> yet.  What do you
## >> need for a Scout II?  Just make it reasonably shippable and
## >> if I have it,
## >> it's yours.

honestly, John, i don't know.  i don't have a Scout II, so i'm stumped.
anything you got that will fit on a Scout 800A or on a 1972 TravelAll 1110
with 1210 running gear?  if you got stuff that will work with either of
those, then maybe we can figure something out.  otherwise, i'll just say
thank you very much and be very pleased with the offer (which i very much
am), and let it go at that.  +)

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde