Re: [ihc] IH Corporate axles, by the book.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac @ TRIAD" <mac@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 9:19 PM
Subject: RE: [ihc] IH Corporate axles, by the book.

<big snip>

Mac-

If it helps, my 1853 school bus has an RA-30 axle. That's a big SOB.

Also, if you will recall, you spotted the oversized brakes on my 1200C
truck, and at that point we realized that I had an RA15 rear axle rather
than the standard RA10. This was, of course, due to the fact that the
factory GVWR had been increased to 8500 lbs, probably for the service bed.
I'd had that truck for 5 years or so and never paid any attention to whether
the axle was different, although I only drove it for 6 months. I bought it
for the engine and transmission, which I used in a different truck, but I
just "assumed" the axles were the same since the wheels were the same as the
other 1200s and the B120. Glad I saved the truck. I won't hesitate to use
those parts or put the truck back on the road some day. Solid truck with no
rust, I can't bring myself to park it in the weeds just yet. Somebody who
knows what they're looking at will need it some day, and it won't die of
neglect if it sits in my driveway a few more years.

Anyway, that RA30 axle is so big that four grown men could not pick  it up
and carry it. I know this from having tried with 3 friends, as I have a
friend who parted out a loadstar and saved the axle for me. He still has the
axle, even after almost two years, since my bus has been waiting on an
engine.  Same gears, same axle, etc. We have moved it twice in his yard, and
it was not easy. The wheels helped immensely, but the obstacles are numerous
and interesting. Some days are more fun than others. Those were
mini-adventure days.

Hope that helps. I haven't been reading most of the posts lately due to a
crazy work load, so if I miss something important, I'll have to catch up
later.

-Allan