Re: [ihc] I need the rundown on the RA15 corportate axle

At 12:25 PM 10/28/03, Rocky Lear wrote:
>I would greatly appreciate some info on this type rear. Any help to any of
>these questions would be great. First I need to know how to ID the ratio
>without pulling the stump. Was there a tag somewhere on these or was it
>stamped in somewhere on the housing? Next, I need to know what kind of
>carriers were used in these. Was there a locker available or were they all
>limited slip or open? Was this the heaviest axle IH offered in an 8 lug
>pattern or was there a RA20 with 8 lugs? Finally, I have seen Rockwell
>mentioned on ads for other 1 tons. Are these in actuality built by
>Rockwell? TIA!
>
>Rocky

They were actually built BY IH themselves.

4.30, 4.875, and 6.17 were the only three ratios.

RA 15, RA 20, and FA 57 used the identical pumpkin. RA 15's seem to have
come in both 6 x 7.25 circle and 8 x 6.5 circle lugs. (14" brakes with the
Budd 6 lug hubs, 12" brakes with the 8 lug). I _THINK _ that the RA 20 was
pretty much the same thing, but with 5 on 8 Budd pattern hubs with 14"
brakes.

The FA 57 was one of the steerable drive axle options in 1600 4x4's, it had
flanges at the end of the housing to which the balls of the inner part of
70F size closed knuckles were bolted.

Greg