RE: [ihc] anti-backfire valve

## >> As for the "flame arrester", I call that an anti-backfire
## >> valve.  Yes, it
## >> has that hose to the air cleaner.  That's to keep a backfire
## >> from possibly
## >> igniting the air/oil mix in a valve cover.  All of the V8
## >> Scouts I've seen
## >> have that.

this raises an interesting question for me.  my BD220 and my first two 304s
all had the "flame arrestor" or "anti-backfire valve" installed...  it was
on the top of the valve cover for the BD, and in the top of the oil filler
tube for the 304s.  all of them had a hose to the air cleaner.  my question
is this:  if that's to keep the backfire from igniting the oil/air mixture
inside a valve cover (crankcase in the case of my 304s), then what's to keep
a backfire from igniting the air cleaner itself?  all three of these engines
were oil bath air cleaner equipped.  isn't it pretty nearly the same air/oil
mixture in one of these air cleaners?

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde