RE: [ihc] Never overlook the obvious, or even the oblivious

## >> Mac, even if it's not right, that's definately something most
## >> of us wouldn't
## >> think of!  I know I sure didn't... great guess regardless...
## >>
## >> -Ryan
## >>

## >> ---Cool, good job Mac!
## >>
## >> ---My next guess was going to be 1/4" plugs in the block,
## >> plugging holes
## >> like the one for the oil sending unit... oil galley plugs are they?
## >>
## >> ---Thank you,
## >> -T.R.E.Jr.

thank you, Ryan and Thomas.  when John said "think outside the box", i
wasn't sure my answer was gonna make it.  after thinking about it a bit, i
figured that all 392s have that hole, *and* John S is much more versed in
these things than most, so it was too obvious to be "really weird".  now,
though, i realize that anybody who's either never owned a truck/TravelAll,
and/or never owned a medium duty IH, or who's spent too much of their recent
time playing with Scouts, wouldn't know or wouldn't remember that there's a
dipstick hole up front.  we all know most of the basics involved with SV
engines, pretty much every tidbit of info about these engines has been
kicked around the digest at least once for all of us to chew on.  but how
often do we discuss where the dipstick goes on a Scout versus the other IH
trucks?  nearly everything else is the same from one truck to another
(engine mounts aside, and we've discussed those anyway), it probably
wouldn't occur to most folks that this one thing is different.

one thing i find interesting is that while all Scout SV engines have the
dipstick to the driver's side middle, all the four cylinders have them in
the front.  i understand why they're that way, of course.  even so, knowing
the four cylinder is just a halved SV, i still didn't think about the
comparison between dipstick placement untill just now.  should have been
another obvious giveaway, but i just wasn't thinking.

mostly i think it was the realization that *ALL* of my engines have had that
front dipstick, including the 392 in our Scout.  the Scout now has the side
dipstick like other Scouts, but i know that engine came with a front
dipstick.  while thinking about the 392 in the Scout, and trying to picture
the front of the engine in my mind, i recalled that John had said it was a
392 in his Traveler, and that's when it clicked.  now i'm gonna inspect my
Scout and see if one of its many leaks is that old dipstick hole.  thanks,
John!  +)

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde