RE: [ihc] Never overlook the obvious, or even the oblivious

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!

Well done, Mac!!

When we got the rebuilt engine, it had a small, plastic plug in there.  I
didn't even see it, or look for it.  At some point, the plastic deteriorated
in the bottom of the plug and fell out.  I don't think it could hurt
anything in the engine, it's less than 3/8" in diameter.  Before we put the
engine in, we painted it, plug included.  Even today, it looked like it was
still there.  Between 2500 and 2700 rpm, the oil sprayed out of that hole
(at least 3 quarts overfull, don't know when it was normally full, that rpm
might have changed) but at any other rpm, there was no oil coming out of
there.

I got an old dipstick, cut it off about 3" long, welded a bolt in the end,
ground it off nice and pretty, filled the tube with sealant, put some on the
tube sides and installed it like a normal dipstick.  No more leaks. Finally.
At last.

I was almost to the point of selling it, literally.

Now, what kind of prize do you need, Mac.  I have lots of used parts.  What
you looking for?

John Stricker

(BTW-all the medium duty trucks have a front mount dipstick too, that's why
the light bulb finally went on in my head.)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:36:13 -0800
> From: "Mac @ TRIAD" <mac@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: [ihc] Never overlook the obvious, or even the oblivious
>
> ## >> But you're close.  VERY CLOSE.  Think strange.  Think Bizzare.
Think
> ## >> outside the box.  8-)
> ## >>
> ## >> John Stricker
>
> hang about...  a thought occurred to me.  is it the front passenger side
> dipstick hole?  you said you're using a driver side dipstick, right?
since