Re: [ihc] Notes on my quest for IH Red Paint (aerosol)

---Already talked to Case. The IH Red they offer now is not the same color
as the old Farmall IH Red. The closest thing I have found to the IH Red used
on Farmalls like ours is Dem-Kote 1D486 IH Red (Int. Harvester). It might be
classified as hazardous now, but the pigmentation should still be easily
matched with this number by a company that carries Dem-Kote. Even asked Case
if they had a powder-coat, no luck there. The red that they use is a nice
shade though and they will have it in 5 gallon buckets if you want it.

----If you were painting the Farmall, I can say from experience that if you
find the Dem-Kote 1D486 it would be identical to the original Farmall paint,
with the exception that the Farmall IH Red is most likely faded by now. How
do I know this... I cleaned off the shroud and tank and feathered the tank
with 1200 gritt wet-sand, then painted the tank with the Dem-Kote I picked
up for $.0.99 a can (retail @ $5.69). I then painted stripes on my Scout II
hood, the lampshade on my halogen pedestal lamp for the living room, the 304
in the Scout, hmmmm... what else did I go off on... LOL. All painted parts
have been holding up well, the red on the hood is the only color that hasn't
gotten onto my clothing or skin when I have come into contact with it and it
hasn't faded, even though it hasn't been clear-coated (it's rattle-can, why
bother), it baked onto small parts real well and came out with a nice bright
shine.

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)