RE: [ihc] IHC Construction equipment

## >> John, unless I'm mistaken, and I know I'll be
## >> corrected if I am ;), the yellow tractors were just
## >> industrial verisons of the RED farm tractors. :)
## >>
## >> Now, if someone could tell me what's special/different
## >> about the industrials, I'd appreciate it.

i don't know about other tractors being yellow.  i know very little about
IHC tractors to begin with.  but i do know that for a long time, IHC had a
fairly large construction/industrial machine division which built all manner
of big toys.  nearly all of the equipment had the word "Pay" in their name.
the really big quarry trucks and transit mixers (Paystars and Payhaulers),
graders (Payscraper), aircraft tow tractors (Paymovers), caterpillar-drive
tractors, bulldozers, backhoes, and any number of other machines of this
ilk.

to my casual oberserver's eye, the construction/industrial equipment doesn't
even look like the other tractors and trucks IHC made of a similar period.
from what little there is in the Crismon book about them and from what few
other sources i've been able to tap on the subject, it appears they were
engineered differently from the bottom up, as well.

unfortunately, in 1982, just two years before IH sold the farm implements
division to Tenneco (the company that owns Case), IH sold their construction
division to Dressler Industries.  they did keep the Payhaulers, but
everything else went to Dressler.  they'd sold their turbine division to
Caterpillar in 1981.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde