Re: [ihc] International Harvester Building in Springfield

On Sunday, October 19, 2003, at 11:43  AM, Colin M Rush wrote:

> I do not know if any of you are interested in arcane stuff like old IH
> buildings, but if you are, check out the pictures here:
> http://atlas.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12375

Interesting Colin. While in Springfield, OH, Howard took me out to the
old (I mean really old) IH plant there. It was shut down a few years
ago when the new plant took over much of what had been done at the old
plant.

Anyway, it is headed for the wrecking ball and thats kind of sad,
although its awfully old and probably not worth nearly as much as the
land upon which it sits.

I have some pictures of the old plant if anyone wants to see it. The
old headquarters building is pretty unique. Of course, first I have to
download the 300 or so photos from the whole trip from my two digital
cameras. As all of you know, downloading is easy, organizing is hard.

Speaking of the IH plant in Springfield, the Springfieldians must have
a love hate relationship with the new plant. It is, according to the
paper, the citys largest business, but the automation reduced the work
force from 5000 to 1500.

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs