[ihc] T/A Jones... I like that!

Ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself :-D

>Leo, I assume these questions are related(?). Let me get this straight, you
>live in a nice dry place where trucks rust less than average and you're
>looking at a southern rig? ;)

What can I say, I'm a guy, so I tend to fall for a pretty face<g>  There are
LOT of IH vehicles here in the Reno area, but few T/As  We are looking for
something that's going to be able to pull a loaded 2 horse trailer up the
Sierras
safely, so that's why I'm considering the gas pig. My 75 196 Scout obviously
is out for that job.

>Brake parts - shoes and small bits no problem. Hubs/drums are IH specific
>and obsolete AFAIK. Good used seem to be available still for less than an
>arm/leg. Best upgrade is to the '72 - '73 disks, I *think* this can be done
>by swapping the knuckles out.

I have  him working on the brake thing...I'm under the impression that there
are
brake drums that aren't as unobtanium as others?  His g/f who is keeping the
vehicle in TN came back w/a 3 1/4" measurement between the studs last night.
He's aware she obviously didn't get the message as to just WHAT measurement
she was supposed to get. I'm figuring she measured between the outer lug
bolts to
get that number.

>Real world(what's that?) issues? 12 - 15MPG, all the stuff that comes with
>a carbureted points ignition older vehicle. Front suspensions on these are
>problematic. Great when all the parts are fresh, but near everything is
>obsolete. If you had to go to Rare Parts with hat in hand for a complete
>rebuild parts could run $800 without trying hard.

I know it's a gas pig.  It has the Edelbrock conversion and he feels it gets
around 12mpg.
Since I have my near 20mpg Scout, I know that's a thing of the past.  More
of a problem is
that it only has 1, probably 19 gallon tank,  imo.  As for the points, maybe
I've been spoiled
with my current Scout, we've had it over 7 years and haven't had points
problems, and only
gone through one gold box. I must be one of the lucky few.  The front
suspension thing is a
good point I wasn't aware of.  It's probably fine, with only 105K on it, but
you're right, for 5 big
ones, especially for me, it needs to be more refurbished.  I was willing to
let the engine not
being rebuilt be a potential back burner issue, but major suspension rebuild
is a major draw
back for me, I don't have the spares lying around nor the ability to do that
sort of swap myself,
the only way that'd be economically feasible.  I know that sounds stupid,
but....

> Especially considering the square body style
>is a notorious rust bucket. This one looks like it might be a respray, so
>I'd be quite concerned about what's under the paint: above the rear wheel
>wells, lower corners of the windshield, above the windshield. Also, inside
>the cowl vent boxes and the floors.

Someone else mentioned under the carpets.  The current owner says there's
only a rust bit that's
been siliconed above the windshield above the driver's side.  I asked him to
inspect under the carpet
as well as the corners near the vents.

I agree that it looks reasonably like a 2 value vehicle, which is why I've
even considered it this seriously.
I think that the having to have the front end redone, even with it being a 2
wd, is a deal breaker.  I was willing
to take a gamble on rebuilding the engine w/in 2 years, but not also having
to redo the suspension. I
feel pretty good on the body otherwise.

I've read about what others have done for refurbishing a 4x4 front end, what
is involved in updating a 2wd
front end on the p/u's or t/a's?

 >Hope this helps,

Yes it did Jim, thanks.  Hello, my name is Leo and I am an IH-aholic!

Leo Horishny
Sun Valley, NV
75 Scout II  196ci