[ihc] Leo's T-all jones

At 05:32 AM 10/14/03 +0000, you wrote:
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:56:52 -0700
From: "Leo Horishny" <horishny@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] 69 Travelall questions

I saw a sweet looking T/A on the BB.  From what I've overheard, I shouldn't
have brake parts finding problems
with this year should I?  What particular real world issues do I need to
expect from this as a daily driver?

If it's still for sale, and you were making a road trip purchase of this
T/A:

www.Navcraft.com/travelall

What would you be asking and/or looking for when trying to purchase this
from
2000 miles away?
Leo, I assume these questions are related(?). Let me get this straight, you live in a nice dry place where trucks rust less than average and you're looking at a southern rig? ;)

Brake parts - shoes and small bits no problem. Hubs/drums are IH specific and obsolete AFAIK. Good used seem to be available still for less than an arm/leg. Best upgrade is to the '72 - '73 disks, I *think* this can be done by swapping the knuckles out.

Real world(what's that?) issues? 12 - 15MPG, all the stuff that comes with a carbureted points ignition older vehicle. Front suspensions on these are problematic. Great when all the parts are fresh, but near everything is obsolete. If you had to go to Rare Parts with hat in hand for a complete rebuild parts could run $800 without trying hard.

Asking/looking for? Everything, but I'm suspicious by nature....I've bought a number of trucks sight unseen, always cheap enough that screwing up wouldn't cause major buyer's remorse. For 5 large, I'd wanna know *everything* about that ride. Especially considering the square body style is a notorious rust bucket. This one looks like it might be a respray, so I'd be quite concerned about what's under the paint: above the rear wheel wells, lower corners of the windshield, above the windshield. Also, inside the cowl vent boxes and the floors.

From the pics this *might* be a solid # 2 IMO, which the SSS value guide puts at $5k. I don't get the $6k 'pics only' appraisal or the other hype. Truck's worth what somebody will pay for it, bottom line. As a point of reference, I sold a '69 1100 Travelall that was about a paint job away from looking that good for less than $2k.

Hope this helps,

Jim