Re: [ihc] Re; Yes, Me Again! Carb Question

Allan-

Yes, a common concern, although I have never known an engine to work at all
when completely "out of phase" as you describe.  What I did to try and
insure I was on the right phase is to simply not turn it over multiple times
with the dist cap off.  I knew it had run well as it was, so I took the cap
off, turned to "the" TDC nearest to where the rotor was to #8 plug wire (I
know there is only one TDC, but mean by going a little forward or a little
back, thus maintaining on the same stroke), and then set the dizzy to that
position for #8.  Thus, I think it is right, I don't think it would run if
it was 180 out, and I did reset it and somehow did something right, so that
now, as I said in the last of my countless posts yesterday, it does seem to
run best at about 7 degrees BTDC, with the vacuum advance connected.  This
was set as about 3 degress without vacuum.  However, as I said, when the
idle falls as low as I expect from an IH (by ear only), is when it starts to
run quite rough, starts popping and spitting, and eventually dies out.  I
would like to get it running well enough that I could attempt to set the
idle circuit screws in synch as well, and then retime it maybe.  But no one
has mentioned the shooting UP of the fuel-is this how this model of Holley
is designed to spray the fuel-seems I saw it shooting normally down in the
barrels at one p[oint in time, so still wondering what this is all about!

Thanks for your help!

Michael