[ihc] Yes, Me Again! Carb Question

Okay-made some advances.  The Scout does not seem to want to start on its own
right now-needs a dribble of fuel or a spray of starting fluid-but once
started, it runs much better, sounds pretty good, etc.

If I depress the throttle linkage while it is off, it gets no shot of fuel
down the barrels.  If I directly "pry" the accelerator pump linkage by hand,
it DOES spray fuel down into the barrels of the carb.  So, this is the same
question I asked about two days ago-is this an issue?  I thought so, got a yes
answer, and a couple that I thought were more along the "no" line.

It does run better-seems to be best advanced about 7 degrees at start and
idle.  However, when it does start to slow down to idle, or after running a
few minutes when RPM's start to slow down a bit (auto choke working), it DOES
again start to spit and "pop" at the carb.  Not only does it do this, but it
shoots a small spray of fuel out of the carb in an UPWARD direction-out of two
small holes pointed in an upward direction.  These seem almost like a
"release" valve that, when it pops, it builds some kind of pressure in the
carb itself, and sends a small spray streaming upward (not down on the barrels
to "vaporize").  Does this give anyone a better idea of what is going on?

I certainly don't mind rebuilding it if that will help, but have never
encountered these symptoms, and am trying to find exactly what is wrong.  I
have rebuilt many Holleys (though all older than this one), as well as Dan
Nees favorite Carter Thermoquads, and feel very capable of this task, but
don't want to do it if it is unnecessary.  The people I bought the Scout from
claimed they put a new (rebuild, I would guess from appearances) carb on it
when they got it in March, and claimed it ran well for them then, though they
never drove it much, and it has sat for about six months since last started.
They seemed very honest, and I trust them on this point, and this doesn't seem
long enough for the carb to really screw up majorly, but I suppose it is long
enough for those little openings to gum up and plug.

So-go ahead with a carb rebuild, or does this problem seem to arise from
somewhere else to you guys?

Thanks again for all the help-I don't mean to be a pest, but today was the
first FREE day I have had to work on it, and I am currently driving a loaner
truck from a friend of the family-only have about a week left before I have to
return it, so need to get this Scout running ASAP!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Michael