Re: [ihc] 140/ 1400 info sought

At 10:03 PM 10/3/03, Rocky Lear wrote:
>I have seen discussion on the 140/1400 series trucks on this digest. Can
>anyone point me in the direction where I might read more about 4x4's
>larger than a one ton rating? I am interested in knowing what axles these
>trucks used, when they were made, specs. etc. etc.
>
>Rocky

The 140's went away pretty early (circa '59 or '60, I think) , but 'light'
1500's were built to pretty much the same spec as the 140's at least
through '73.

They had much deeper frame rails than a 1300 (just like a heavy 1500, as
far as I know), used an RA-15 (or mebbe RA-20) rear, same pumpkin and banjo
as a 1300, but with 5 lug on 8" circle Budd lug pattern (same lug pattern
as a 1500)  and came with 17" split rim Budd dually wheels. (7.50x17
tires). Bigger rear brakes than a 1300, don't recall the drum size.

They also had steel pin/greasable bronze spring bushings, even on the
2x4's. (1300 2x4's had rubber spring bushings, the 4x4's used
steel/bronze.) The rear spring hangers/springs are a LOT heftier than what
is on a 1300.

The 1400 (really 'light 1500) 4x4's used a 70F front with the 5 lug hubs
and 14x2 brakes. The 2x4's used a beam front axle.

BTW--I also know where there are a couple of RA-15's  with eight lug hubs
in yards, as well as a two speed 1500 rear. But I'm _NOT_  tellin' 'til ya
find me one of the 70R's, springs and all !! The only one of these I have
found is still in a running tow truck, and I can't git it (yet) !!

Greg