RE: [ihc] 1310 Travelalls?

## >> All the Stageway conversions I've seen have been on 1200/1210
## >> platforms.

i'm with Ryan on this one.  i've seen several Stageways 10-door conversions
on the 1310 platform.  i don't remember with absolute certainty, but i
*think* at least one of the converted/chopped-up 4x4 Airporters that the guy
with the safari-type company was using is a 1310.  other than a small number
of the 10-door Airporters and the panel truck mentioned below, i don't think
i've seen any other 130/1300/1310 TravelAlls.  besides, like *I* said
initially, it was just a rumour i'd heard, anyway (despite what i've seen
with my own eyes).

## >> 1300/1310 Travelalls? There was simply no need for such an
## >> animal. The
## >> 1300/1310 was not built with a 119"WB. The 1200/1210 was
## >> available with the
## >> same size brakes and the same spring rates as the 'one tons'. My 1210
## >> Travelall has an 8200# GVW, which is *higher* than the base
## >> GVW of a 1310!

Crismon's pictures a D1300 paneltruck on page 370, top right.  it's pictured
one other place in the book, but i haven't located the second image yet.
119" wheelbase, 18" wheels.  also, in the late '50s and early '60s you could
order the 130 and 140 (till the 140 was discontinued) in all three GVWRs in
as short a wheelbase as 114".

whether or not there was a need for it doesn't seem to have any bearing on
the issue, at least in my opinion.  there wasn't much need for each model's
heaviest GVWR option to outclass the baseline unit from the next model up,
but they all seem to do that.  my B122 has a higher GVWR than a base B130,
my D1200 had a higher GVWR than a 1300A, and my 1500A had a higher GVWR than
a Metro 1600.  my 1010 has a higher GVWR than my 1110, too, at least if you
believe the listed specs and not the actual hardware (said 1110 now sports
the running gear from a 1200/1210).

this 1110/1210 we have now uses 12"x3" brakes all the way around, which as i
understand it was the largest brake package offered except for some very
uncommon extreme service packages.  it's certainly the largest i've been
able to find direct refernces to at the parts counters.  the rear brakes
from my 1500A are larger than that (they're on the B122 now), but i don't
know what the various brake packages for that model were.

i was gonna try to find more information this morning and post it with this
message, but it's time to take the kids to school.  i'll see what else i can
dig up later today, though.

--Mac

P.S.:  whether or not i "need" it, if i could order a model 500 TravelAll
today, i'd do it.  i'm already on the prowl for the stuff i need to convert
my current 1110/1210 over to 1310 (or even 1510 if i can find it) dualled
hardware.  absolutely unneccessary and pointless?  you bet.  but it
entertains *ME*, and that's pretty much what counts.  with a little extra
work i could have converted my B122 back to singles and the lighter springs
when i installed the 1500A hardware.  but i *LIKE* duals and heavy stiff
springs, so i'm keeping them.  the idea of a dually 4x4 TravelAll that rides
like a cinderblock on rollers appeals to me.  Ryan sent me a picture of one
that somebody else had done, and it was really sharp (to me).  maybe i'll
never use them for what they were designed...  but then again, maybe i will.
i never thought i'd ever have my B122 make full use of the rated capacity of
its new hardware, but i did that.  so why not with a TravelAll, too?  even
if i never use it, i will be able to if need arises.  just like that
enormous PTO winch on the front of the 1110.  if i can get it fixed, even if
i never use it, it'll be there if i need it.

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/