[ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #131

1)  For the IH content:  Yesterday, on the way home, I was taking a
non-highway "short-cut".  A side street.  I was going along about 40-45 MPH.
This street is rather bumpy - from many patch-work fixes, and holes that
NEED to be fixed.  There's a random assortment of pot holes and patch
mounds, etc. The steering wheel was kind of bouncing left <--> right, back &
forth.  THEN SUDDENLY (and you knew this was coming), the steering wheel
suddenly started oscillating back and forth at about 30 degrees or so each
direction (left & right).  Very rapidly, very suddenly.  At first I thought
I had a *MAJOR* suspension/steering issue.  Right or wrong, I hit the brakes
and pulled over.  I was able to steer, and pull over.  I though maybe I had
a blowout or something along those lines.  I pulled over, left the truck
running (not sure why, but I did), got out, peeked underneath it expecting
to see Something Awful.  Nope!  NOTHING amiss.  All shocks attached, all
wheels attached, all tires aired up, etc. I caught my breath, hopped back
in, took off.  Not another problem since.  Don't know what happened, how it
happened, but I sure would prefer it NEVER happen again!  Any ideas,
theories, etc; would be greatly appreciated.
Pete, the one and only time I have experienced those exact symptoms was in my B series pickup. Found out later that one of the front tires had delaminated the steel belt and the tread had literally slid sideways on the casing. Might not be what caused yours, but I'd have a close look.

Jim