RE: [ihc] Mixed Bag: Front Ends, Close Encounters and "Who Is It?"!!

Hi Jim,

Thanks ever so much.  Yours was the only reply I've seen so far (but haven't
read the actual Digest today to see what, if anything, awaits there!).
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

But good answers often beget more questions! ;-)

Tell me - how much of this front-end/suspension stuff can the average shade
tree mechanic/weekend warrior do on his own?  Is there a reasonable savings
in attempting it yourself vs. taking it to a trustworthy shop?  We're kinda
in a $ crunch right now (and the ticket didn't help matters!). Yet I have
visions of the front end of the truck falling apart at 65 MPH - not pretty!
The Scout wanders a little more than I would prefer left <--> right, and
darn near swerves left when I hit the brakes (need to see what that's about,
too!).

I have moderate wrenchin' skills, fair physical strength (long story) and "I
have air tools and am not afraid to use 'em!".  But I don't have any
specialty suspension/front end tools (pickle forks, pitman arm pullers,
etc.).  I could rent such at O'Reilly's or AutoZone if need be, I guess.
Another thing I lack here is KNOWLEDGE of the subject?  How do I know how
much slop is acceptable or NOT?  What's worn & what's not?

FWIW, I know the TSL Super Swampers on the Scout (33") are in sore need of
balancing and/or trashing.  There's not an ounce of lead on ANY wheel!  It
has a fairly wicked 'death rattle' (wheel shake/shimmy) bigger than Dallas
at about 50 MPH.  Gone at 70 MPH. It's had this as long as I've owned it.
Is it worth getting the junky Super Swampers balanced? Can't afford $500 for
new skins right now, and don't want to throw $75 at them (to balance all 4)
if they're junk and I'm going to have to get rid of them in the next few
months. I can live with the 'rattle' IF there's no real safety issue at play
here.  What to do... what to do?!

I guess one thing I could do - though I deplore having to do this - is take
it to a respectable shop, get a written estimate (prob charge $40-$50, but I
guess the guys time is worth something, eh?).

What's your take on the "do it yourself" aspect of this?

Thanks in advance,

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\]	http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/postnuke/html/index.php