Re: [ihc] Steering parts needed

> Good day everyone,
>  I purchaced a 74 Tavelette 200 series 2wd.The steering components need to
> be replaced.I was looking for a source that was less $$$$$ than the "Rare

Congratulations!

IIRC, there were 3 variations of the IFS/coil setup used in 74/75.

Fa-5    02005      IH Coil Spg Susp 3200# - Mt136 - 100,150

Fa-6    02006      IH Coil Spg Susp 3500# - Mt136 - 200

Fa-7    02007      IH Coil Spg Susp 4000# - Mt136 - 200

As you see, two different ones for the 200s.  My 9k ("1T") GVWR 200 Camper
Special T'ette has the FA-7.  What's different between the FA-6 and FA-7?
I'm not sure.

I do know my T'ette also has the 4140 brake option, which calls for 3 3/8"
bore calipers - same as used on a Dana 60 front axle by Dodge or Chevy.

I also know that you're SOL on getting new rotors for the IFS front end
(Unless Paul B. comes up with a fix with his W200 parts), so the IFS is
just a temporary thing anyhow.

My IFS rides nice, but it's days are numbered. :(

> Also ,do the steering components cross over to any other brands? Any other
> info will be greatly appreicated.

If the steering components don't directly cross, they could be made to. :)

A $40 reamer from SnapOn will let you re-ream any of the tapered TRE holes
in the steering linkages to take a common GM tie rod end.  You could then
order custom linkage with the GM TREs, or find a GM close approximation,
or find GM-taper TREs that thread into the existing linkages, or just fab
it all yourself.

I don't know what I'm doing with my left-over FA-7 yet, but I haven't
pulled it from the truck, either.  My linkages were worn, but not
dangerous when I had it all aligned.  I opted to just run it, knowing I
would eventually need new rotors, and that would be the end of it.

The good news, as Ed Sohm can attest.. a 4x4 swap is mostly a bolt-in
affair if you find a junked 74/75 4x4 (even a 1/2T, though the springs may
not be up to the weight, and you'd need to update the front brakes to
8-lug stuff).

I have a Dodge Dana 60 to put under my truck, as soon as I get 'round to it..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'74 200 Travelette tow rig
'74 100 4x4 single-cab pickup