[ihc] 194 Scout 80 rearend

Hi guys... I'm a relatively new scout owner and likewise pretty new to the digest but, already I know there is a lot knowledgeable people that read the digest. I ran into a problem a while back that I would like to run past those of you that are willing and able to respond. I own a '64 Scout that had a bum rear end. After tracking down all the parts from across the nation,
(ring & pinion gears, clutches and one rear axle) I took the rear end and the new parts (actually they were good used parts) to a transmission and rear end repair shop for them to assemble it for me. After a few days they called and said the rear end was ready to go. I picked it up a couple of days later and brought it home. I installed it the following weekend and took the Scout for a test drive here on my property. After about a mile or so of driving, it started to make some weird grinding noise just as I returned to the garage. I pulled the fill plug on the rear end and stuck my finger in the hole. My heart sank when I discovered that the rear end didn't have any oil in it. I immediately called the shop that did the assembly job and told one of the owners that the rear end was absolutely dry. He said "we don't put oil in them". I said they should have told me that when I picked it up, to which he replied "Wasn't there a sticker on the rear end that said to put oil in it"? When I replied in the negative, he asked "isn't it written on you receipt" to which I also replied that there wasn't. I took it in so they could look at it and the other owner told me that they weren't responsible for the damage that was done because I should have known that it didn't have any lube in it. SO... I guess my question for you guys is... should a layman be expected to "know" that the shop didn't put oil in the rear end? What if a widow had a similar problem, and had her next door neighbor pull out the rear end so she could take it to a shop for repair? Should she have known? Your thoughts on this would really be appreciated guys!

Thanks,
George