Reply: [ihc] Capacity of a scout II roof rack?

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Ryan Moore wrote:

> Anyone have an estimate of the real world capacity of a factory roof rack
> for a scout II? The OEM data too if anyone knows...

Ryan:

I strapped (verticaly) a Norton Commando frame (minus the front end,
engine & rear wheel) with transmission, swing arm & shocks on mine and
drove at Interstate speeds from middle GA to Miami, FL, without incident.

I suppose the frame (as it was) weighed approx 100 lbs.

The rack was mounted by means of stainless steel machine screws with
appropriately sized fender washers between the metal roof and the mounting
nuts.

> I might put mine back on, but not if I can't use it... We can rent canoes
> here very cheaply, and if the rack can handle it I might stick it back on,
> stick a canoe on top and go camping... plus a canoe on top of a scout could
> make for a nice picture.

If you secure each end of the canoe with a tie down strap, and provide
some sort of padding between the canoe and the cross bars - you should be
OK.

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided

<snip>