[ihc] Squealing Glessie

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:26:19 -0700
From: "Bill Fowler" <bill_fowler@domain.elided>
Subject: squealing pig

Hey guys,

Well after two weeks of daily driving (a lot of around town stuff) Glessie
(69 Travelall) has started to make a high pitched squeal when the clutch is
depressed (Lots of dirty looks at the stoplights LOL). It actually has two
pitches one kind of lower when about 3/4 depressed and then higher pitch
when fully depressed.  What am I hearing?  Is this a sign of imminent clutch
failure or do I just need to do some lubrication?  Any guidance on how to
proceed would be much appreciated.

Bill Fowler
1969 Travelall 1100 4x4 "Glessie"
Bill, I really want to say that the truck has a greasable throwout bearing(my guess also for what's making the noise). I *know* that it has a diaphragm clutch, which means I had the inspection cover off. I also distinctly remember thinking that the clutch plate looked nice and meaty, and suspected a fairly recent replacement. That said, it's been awhile and I've worked on just a few too many other trucks in the meantime to be certain. Pull the sheet metal cover off the bottom of the bellhousing, and the throwout bearing and collar will be staring at you. There should be a zerk fitting hanging straight down from the collar. If so, give it a few pumps with a grease gun and see if that quiets it down. Don't go crazy with the grease, you don't want it flinging out onto the clutch disk. If there's no fitting, try spinning the front face of the bearing unit, you should be able to feel roughness if the bearing's gone south. You could also watch and listen under the truck while a helper starts it up and depresses the clutch(just make sure it's not in gear!)

If lube doesn't help or isn't possible, and we're pretty sure the noise is coming from the throwout bearing, we have good news/bad news. The good news is that a clutch job is really straightforward on that truck. Pull the driveshaft and shift lever, put a jackstand under the rear of the oil pan(with a wood block), disconnect the clutch linkage at the bellhousing cross shaft, and unbolt the bellhousing. The tranny and bellhousing weigh maybe 175#, so a floor jack is in order, and a tranny jack adapter is handy. The bad news is that you probably want to replace everything all at once, which means ditching/refurb'ing a clutch disk and cover that there's probably nothing wrong with along with replacing the throwout and pilot(in the flywheel) bearings. Most folks just don't want to take the chance of having to re-do the labor again, and replace all the parts and have the flywheel surfaced at the same time. Another thing, drain the engine oil before removing the flywheel, the flywheel bolt holes go straight through the crank flange and into the crankcase. For the same reason, the bolts need sealant(P-tex #2 or equivalent) on them upon reassembly.

If you need the clutch job and don't want to do it yourself, it's time to visit the mechanic I wasn't able to find for you. You know, the one that won't bend you over and will do the job right. For parts, I would prefer to have a local clutch shop re-condition what's in there(and face the flywheel). A good clutch place can also sell you the pilot/throwout bearings and *install* them. Kinda like one stop clutch shopping, with the added benefit that you don't risk getting the wrong throwout bearing(not uncommon) or get a clutch cover that's not properly set up for the clutch disk(also not unheard of). If that same clutch shop would also do the R&R for a reasonable price, that'd be the 'bee's knees'.

Hope this helps, if you need to bounce parts/labor pricing off us please do so. I haven't done a ton of clutch work(I'm mostly an auto guy), but I know others here have. Allan E gets his disk and cover refurb's done for about a Benjamin IIRC, not sure how that compares in the market but sounds like a pretty good deal.

Jim