Sad day...

Hey all,
Sad day today. My canine companion of 3 years, Clay, was killed today on a busy highway. I had brought him along in my new car (a '93 Crown Vic Police Interceptor) to the DMV to get it tagged. I usually put him on a lead when he's in the Scout, but in the Vic I just left the windows down (too far) due to the heat, and didn't tie him in. Something caught his eye, or maybe he was scared by the shop owner's Harley, I don't know, but he ran out in the road and an 18-wheeler hit him. The good news: he didn't suffer, there wasn't an accident or harm to any people, and I didn't see it happen. The bad news, I've lost my good friend and the best Scout rider I know.
This is off topic, but since we've all been waxing about the family here, I thought it might be okay to share. The other folks in my life will be hurt by his loss, and my role will be as much comforting them as being comforted, so I thank you all for allowing me to share.
The cruel irony is that I bought the CV in part to make it easy for me to take him to work at my new job -- vinyl bench rear seat, A/C, etc. As with any loss, it's hard now, but the real challenges will come daily as I'm reminded of the great joy he brought to my life and to everyone who met him.
Again, sorry for the unhappy news. May the sun shine brightly on your day!
Best,
Joel

--
Joel Furtek <http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>; jf7e@domain.elided
Rigger, Virginia Women's Rowing 434/981-6811 (cell); 434/975-CREW (boathouse)