Re: Vibration in steering, centered steering wheel

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>
To: "IHC Digest" <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 12:58 PM
Subject: Vibration in steering, centered steering wheel

> Let me ask you guys a question dealing with my steering setup.
>
> First, just to refresh your memories, it's a RHD Scout II, 2WD, AMC 258.
>
> The stock steering box was manual, and I wanted power steering.  So the
> PO installed a stock (LHD) Scout II P/S box with a '72 Travelall P/S
> pump.  The box is mounted to the inside of the frame, rather than the
> outside.
>
> First, overall impressions, it works great.  The steering is much easier
> than on my Cherokee or on any other car I've driven.
>
> Now, the potential problems:
>
> There is a hissing sound when turning the wheel at slow speeds or at a
> full stop (e.g. 3-point turn).  I'm guessing that would be a pump issue,
> if it's a problem at all?
>
> When turning the wheel right there's a funky kind of vibration.  Only
> happens when turning right, and only intermittently.  I don't think it
> has ever happened when turning left.  Definitely not since putting the
> cotter pins in the tie rod and drag link connecting nuts.
>
> After my alignment, straight ahead on the wheel was slightly left of
> center.  A few days later it was right of center.  Then it was center,
> now it's going slightly left of center.  Any ideas?

Drag link ends , steering box mounting bolts?  A large pair of groove joint
pliers (channel locks) , can be used to squeeze, compress the ball joint as
in TRE or DLE and compare the pressure of a known good one to the ones in
question.  Also you could get some one to turn the steering wheel left and
right while you are unde neath watching, and od feeling for looseness.  Good
luck  Jim A.