RE: he's baaaaack..... and i've got questions

## >> Finally got moved, and after a short "computer being
## >> annoying" episode,
## >> which Mac resolved for me, I finally have internet connection
## >> again... I'm
## >> also in a different building etc of course....

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  don't tell anyone i did something right.  it might get
back to my Bride and then she'll either never believe it or expect similar
results more regularly in the future.  we just can't have that, you know.

speaking of doing something right, here's the obligatory IH content:  i
finished replacing all the brake shoes on the TravelAll this last weekend.
the rear brakes are now quite happy having the 2-1/2"x12" shoes replaced
with the correct 3"x12" units, and the fronts, which oddly enough still had
3"x12" shoes, now sport brand new units as well.  the rear shoes had
actually been in decent shape, but they weren't the right size, and i much
prefer having the right size shoes in my brakes.  the fronts were all
heat-cracked and coming apart, looks like they've been ridden pretty hard in
recent months (they weren't like this the last time i took the front axle to
bits to do the knuckle bearings).  still plenty of material on the shoes,
just...  they didn't look so good.

now here's the questions you all knew were coming:  the two rear drums and
the right front drum all look as close to brand new as you can get.  none of
the three appears to have any noticeable wear and do not appear to have ever
been turned.  the left front, however, is worn.  not yet worn out, but...
not worn evenly.  i don't think it's ever been turned, just stuck back on
with each shoe change.  it's got a relatively deep 3"-wide groove in it and
the outside edge has a definite lip that means i have to adjust the shoes in
a bit to get the drum off.  and then sit there for twenty minutes cranking
the shoes back out to get them adjusted again once the drum is back on.

so...  where do i get another one of these drums?  assuming one is
available, what's it likely to cost me?

lastly, two of the six bolts in the left side knuckle holding on the spindle
and brake backing plate have stripped out in their holes, and one bolt on
the right side has done the same.  what's the best way to handle this?  i've
screwed in all the remaining bolts with red Locktite, and they all seemed
fairly solid to begin with.  but those three stripped bolts...  do i take
the knuckles to bits and have the holes drilled and tapped at a machinist?

thanks again, one and all.  +)

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde