Re: Mystery Part

on 7/30/03 10:28 PM, Leo Horishny at horishny@domain.elided wrote:

> I'd still like to know if anyone who's been into their 392 or 196 engine has
> come across
> any sort of 'shield'  that fits below the valve cover gasket and above and
> around the
> pushrods.  I imagine someone may have crafted this piece on this engine for
> some
> godunknown reason, but the way the ears on it fit the upper valve cover
> bolts so well,
> makes me think it was OEM.

Over the years, I've worked on a number of heads that had what sounds like a
similar shield above the valves. Had to do with controlling the oil, I've
been told.

I've never seen such a device on an IH engine, but then I haven't torn down
many IH engines. Score a big one for IH engines, except in Tom's case.

John Hofstetter