Re: Reality check

on 8/1/03 6:19 AM, I, Joseph Shaw at docmikeii@domain.elided wrote:

> What I found funnier was that there was no mention of the other line in
> that same email-I think you said, "I went to Grammar School TO my
> mother..."

When I went to Grammar School where my mother was my teacher, most of the
students were fruit transients out of Arkansas. Generally, these kids and
their folks were wonderful people and their boys and I were the best of
friends. Their girls and I ...., never mind that.

Anyway, they'd have thought nothing was wrong with "to my mother" as a way
of saying that my mother was my teacher. They taught me a lot about
surviving on almost nothing, but not much about proper grammar. Nothing
about them or the way they talked had anything to do with my awkward way of
putting my mother, my school, and me all in the same location.

> I am not any PhD in English/Lit/Grammer, but figured you MEANT
> to write "with" my mom, "at" my mom's school, or something.  However, I
> also thought that maybe THIS was where you were trying to get us!

You give me too much credit, it was just an ignorant and careless way to put
it.

John Hofstetter