Re: Wheel Alignment question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
To: "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>; "IHC Digest"
<ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: Wheel Alignment question

Big snip
The toe in is not real difficult to set.  The main problem is to find a true
line that the tire rotates to.  In order to do that jack up the tire so that
it rotates freely.  Then as some one rotates the wheel, hold a marking
devise,  ( I use a long screwdriver, with the blade turned on edge ) and
carefully holding it steady make a clear mark, near the center of the tread
around the circumference of the tire. Repeat for the other side.   With both
wheels back on the floor, or driveway, drive ahead about the revolution of
the tire.  Then from the closest to center height of the two wheels, measure
the distance between the marks on the back side of the tires then on the
front  side.  The difference between the two measurements should be between
1/16th " and 3/16th"s the front side being shorter.  That is called "toe in"
and varies depending on size, make, year, condition of steering parts of the
vehicle.

I have set mine on the less toe in.  If the toe in is too much, the front
has  tendencies to dive or turn too fast too much.  Not enough and the front
likes to wander.

If you do this job yourself, [approximately] one fourth of a turn on the
adjusting sleeve is [about] 1/16th of an inch on toe in adjustment.
Cheers Jim A.

Jim Aos
jaos@domain.elided
Okanogan, WA