Re: Run Flat System - Searching for Info

From: Terry.Traver@domain.elided
To: ihc-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Run Flat System - Searching for Info
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:11:35 -0600
<snip>

Hi All,

I was talking to a friend here at work, a J**P guy - but a good guy who
appreciates IH's, and he is trying to find some information on a run flat
system he remembers reading about. He is currently running 16.5" HUMMV tires
and has noted that 16.5" wheels do not have the small bead lock ridge than
other sizes do. He is concerned about airing down and loosing the bead.

Anyway, the system he remembers is something like a second inner tire rather
than a rigid insert. This system required drilling a second valve stem hole
and some special tire mounting sequences but it sounded like a good system.

Do any of you know something about this system or have suggestions on likely
sources of info ?

Assistance is appreciated.

Terry
Sounds to me suspiciously like running a tubeless tire with a tube made for the correct rim but a smaller tire.

I'm at a loss as to what he means by the "bead lock ridge" since bead locks are the things that HMMWV wheels have which prevent the bead from coming out. Those are those things with the bolts all around the outside edge of the rim.

-Ryan