Pete's P/S Pump Replacement, Brake Hose, Differentials.

Hi All,

To those following my trials and tribulations with the power steering pump
and other items may be interested in this update.

I didn't get time to work on any of this during the weekend.  Misc "honey
do's", etc; prevented much forward progress. Soooo, I did the right thing...
I took today off from work to deal with it!  Here's how things played out:

1) The p/s pump was removed - bracket and all.  I then was able to remove
the sleeve that was capturing the final bolt and/or holding the bracket to
the pump (or is that pump to bracket? %^}).  The only real noteworthy thing
here was that the tube on the pump did not exit straight out of the pump (as
my old one did).  The new pump tube kind of did a  (horizontal) "J". Sooo,
the host had to pass around to the FRONT of the pump to connect.  Weird, but
everything seems as if it'll work, no hoses resting on pulleys, etc.

2) I replaced both p/s pump hoses.

3) I replaced the rear brake hose.  This was kind of a residual "parting
gift" from the DPO. Apparently when the lift was performed, he neglected to
replace the hose with one of adequate length.  After a little excessive
"articulation" through the asphalt jungle of Tulsa and the potholes on 169,
the hose snapped in half.  No rear brakes. Brake light on all the time.  No
more!  I crossed a part # from Tom M's page (the Wagoner part that was just
right with no mess or fuss) to a NAPA part #. Bled the brakes for a while,
and all was well once again!  Brake light off.  MUCH betta braking.

For the parts/database obsessed (and you know who you are), here're the NAPA
p/n's I used:

P/S hose return: 	7-1625
P/S hose:		7-1213
Brake hose*:	4136851  (I didn't measure total length, but it was quite
adequate for my 6" (total) lift, still had a comfortable margin of slack
remaining.  Supposed to be comparable to the Wagoner p/n on Tom's page. Ask
me if you need more info). This part has 1 yr warranty, but they also have a
lifetime part {alas, not in stock!} but I don't immediately have the part #
handy.

Per another thread - I checked both differentials.  Both were BRIM full
(overflowing when plug pulled) sooo, whatever I'd seen on the ground under
my pumpkin wasn't mine - or enough to worry about. The front was more like
honey - and resembled it in color and viscosity. Matched my Valvoline
perfectly. The rear was pretty nasty (black and rather liquefied) and
hopefully will get changed this weekend. I expect to reseal the diffs at
that time. I notice a handy tag: 3.07 was plainly visible. That answers that
earlier question!

Thanks all (T.R.E., John and Dan Nees {for coaching me with the sleeve!})
for your help & patience - on digest and off.

Cheers,

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\]	http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/postnuke/html/index.php