Curious Electrical Problem

Normally, electrical problems are no big deal to me, but this one has me
scratching my head a little.  On my '80 Traveler, my left rear brake light
doesn't work.  The right side works fine, and both side turn signals work
fine as well as the BU and tail lights, but the left side brake light simply
refuses to light.

In looking at the wiring diagrams that are online at the Binderbulletin.org,
I don't even see a section with the brake light switch in it so I'm limited
as to how far I can trace it back on the wiring diagram.

Also, the lampholder in the tail lights is different than usual in that it
has 3 wires to the center instead of two (+ a fourth ground, of course).  I
haven't put a testlight to them yet to see which is hot when, but I do know
the center is hot when the brake light is active on the right side.  I got
interrupted before I could check the left so I don't know if I have power to
it yet at the wire.  I don't have power to the socket.

Any thoughts or ideas?  Run into this before?

I get the digest in digest mode so if you have any thoughts, CC me with
email at jstricke@domain.elided as well since I'd really like to get this

John Stricker