Gas Gage?

79 Scout II, 304, 4spd stock - that's the facts here's the story
After years of not having a functioning gas gage- the tank began leaking significantly, immediately after being filled. It leaks for about an hour after filling then stops. No unusual fumes or other symptoms.
As the tank was being dropped (lowered semi carefully) the 5/16 nipple on the driver's side top front came out of the tank AND the hose broke on the one on the passenger side front. So now after an appropriate cleaning and application of JB Weld to both and new hoses laying next to the tank on my bench, I wonder about the gage. The connections were in place but REALLY dirty- as in caked with dry Arizona real estate. The spade and shoe connector was dirty enough to have kept it from grounding but I don't have a clue about how to proceed other cleaning the connectors. I had always assumed (assumed- I'm in trouble already ) it was the ground due to the dash gage being hooked up properly but no movement of the needle at all. Anyone have time to write a short check list and procedure? I know that several gas gage issues have been address previously so of it got written up anywhere - post the URL and I'll try to go from there.
All help appreciated along with your understanding for my NOT having paid enough attention before.
Roger L. Waggener Sr.
"The Crusty Old Codger in the Desert"
Mesa, Arizona
rwaggener@domain.elided