Re: Re[2]: Drop pitman arms and bump steer

-Thank you Ken,

---What you tell me is just what I was thinking. The bump steer is caused by
a combination of changes to the steering (alignment and components) without
the correction of one or more. It all comes down to the length of the drag
link in relation to the distance between the steering knuckle and the pitman
arm.

---As I already know, I have a "larger than stock" angle on my drag link's
rod ends and that to me is the most concern when it comes to the lift. With
5" of lift, the angle is quite much compared to stock
http://aka3toes.cornbinder.com/images/draglnk.jpg and it is obvious that
since the drag link is not adjustable in length, the toe in is extreme on
both wheels. If you don't change the caster when adding the lift (as I have
not yet), you are adding more to the toe in. Doing this would greatly effect
your steering and lifting or dropping the wheel on either side would effect
the steering/toe even more. So, if you bring the pitman arm and steering
knuckle mounting surfaces to the same height, set the front end to the
correct alignment, you measure the distance between the two mounting
surfaces and see if your stock drag link fits the bill, if not, you will
still experience improper steering alignment (aka bumpsteer), caused by a
combination of changes to the steering without the correction of one or
more. Unless you add a drag link of the proper length. Changing the angle of
the drag link without lengthening it will pull the steering knuckle end of
the drag link closer to the pitman arm end.

---My Scout does get a little touchy at higher speeds and that is most
likely the case with mine and others, but Jeff B.'s suspension being stock
is most likely due to the front body mounts being shot and pushing the
steering knuckle end further away from the gear box... or bad ball joints
allowing the tire to flop around when he hits a bump.

---The major downfall to not correcting the angle of the drag link is not so
much the bumpsteer to me, it is the improper angle of the joints at the end
of the draglink. That will cause premature rod end failure and possibly even
breakage when on the trail. His Heim joints, if applied to the drag link,
are correcting the extreme angle of the rod ends, but if on the tie rod do
nothing more than make the suspension more comfortable when performing
normal duties (and easier to work) and quite possibly will last longer than
OEM joints.. if greaseable.

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)