Re: Drop pitman arms and bump steer

---I don't quite get the bump steer concept myself. I know if you raise the
distance between the steering knuckle and the pitman arm then you need to
lengthen the drag link that connects them. I also know that when you lift
the vehicle and change the caster, you need to correct the caster. Lastly,
when you lift the vehicle and change the angle of the drag link's rod ends,
you are sacrificing the angle that the joint can travel and taking a chance
on binding the joint if you articulate beyond the joint's ability to move.
So, when the vehicle is lifted, you need to bring the caster back to
correct, you need to justify the angle of the drag link for the sake of the
rod ends and you need to bring the pitman arm and steering knuckle to a
level plane, place the wheels in the correct position for alignment and
measure the distance between the steering knuckle and the pitman arm. This
to me seems to be what everyone refers to as bump steer, a combination of
changes to the steering without the correction of one or more.

---Anyone care to drill a hole in my head and fill me with information?

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)