From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "Allan Ericson" <lowvolt@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: Trailer Remedy from JoelB

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 08:48  AM, Allan Ericson wrote:

> The equalizer hitch stiffens the
> connection between the trailer and tow rig, which acts as a damper.
> The less
> "work" the equalizer has to do, the better.

I like to think of the equalizer hitch as putting more weight on the
front axle of the tow rig, which in fact it does. My rule of thumb is
to use enough equalizer lift to bring the hitch of the tow vehicle up
to where it would be without any weight on it.

On my GC which has towed some pretty substantial trailers maybe 80,000
miles, the hitch ball sits at 19 inches. I put the trailer on the ball,
and crank up the equalizer bars to where the ball is back at 19 inches.

Side issue: In 45 years of trailer towing, Ive never needed even the
previously installed sway bars to handle sway as long as the equalizer
hitch is set appropriately.

John Hofstetter