RE: Trailer scare

## >> I'd wager not enough tongue weight.  Tail wags the dog.
## >> I've towed a 40-foot, 7000#  trailer with an F-350 dually, and as
## >> little as 300# put ten feet aft of the trailer axles would change the
## >> handling in a big way.  On your shorter trailer, it would take more
## >> weight, but I'd rather have too much than too little tongue weight
## >> any day.
## >> JoelF

## >> My guess is not enough tongue weight, too. Can you move the traveller
## >> forward?
## >> Allan

i'm in agreement with Joel and Allan.  more tongue weight, rather than less.
with one caveat:  beware going too far with the tongue weight.  when i
scrapped my D1200, we towed it to the wrecking yard on a trailer specially
built for hauling racecars, using a '65 Dodge 3/4-ton.  we put the D1200 too
far forward on the trailer, it lifted the front of the Dodge up probably
three inches along with the significant squat on the rear end.  and then
going down the road the front wheels did not have enough weight for good
traction and control, the truck yawed all over the place.  that was pretty
scary too.  lemme tellya, anytime we hit bumps i would have sworn the front
of the Dodge actually left the ground.  might have been my imagination, but
that's what it felt like.

anyway, more tongue weight is better, too much can be worse.  just my
nickel.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde