Re: Trailer Remedy from JoelB

I agree with Ryan.

I can't believe I just said that.

Joel is on the road by now, I'm guessing.

Anyway, the proportion thing is right on the money. The weight ratio
stabilizes the load more naturally, taking advantage of the distribution of
the suspensions in the trailer and tow rig. The equalizer hitch stiffens the
connection between the trailer and tow rig, which acts as a damper. The less
"work" the equalizer has to do, the better.

I believe that when towing a load that you will move around frequently, such
as hauling your trail rig to the trail head, you should experiment a little
to get the load as close to perfect as you can and *then* hook up the
equalizer hitches. Once you've felt how the trailer handles when properly
loaded, you will quickly notice when something is wrong.

Another thing about towing vehicles on trailers is that the "load" vehicle's
suspension, if not dampened properly, will allow the vehicle to move around,
which will shift the load on the trailer. I towed a 67 1100B pickup on an
auto transport trailer once that started to sway a great deal at 50 mph. At
that speed, the trailer was still stable. I increased speed to 55 and the
trailer began to "join in on the fun."

When I got to the next town, I pulled out some tensioning chains and
ratcheted down the body. The load was then stable up to 65 mph, which is
faster than I normally drive with a trailer, but I wanted to see the effect,
if any, before I backed down to 55 mph.

-Allan

-Allan