RE: turbos

## >> The engine you are hearing about was a 152T inline four
## >> cylinder. Half of a
## >> 304. Was offered in Scout 80's. '64 and '65, I THINK. Rarer than hen's
## >> teeth.

according to the Crismon book, the 4-152T was first introduced in Year Model
1964 with the limited-edition Champagne Scout 80 as part of celebrations for
the 100,000th Scout produced.  additionally, the 4-152T was also available
in the model 800 Scouts starting in 1965 along with the 4-196 which was
introduced in 1966, and the SV266 which appeared on the Scout options list
in 1967.  the turbo 152 was not dropped untill early in 1968, when both
models of 4-152 were replaced by the 4-196.  if i'm remembering correctly,
one of the 800s on display at Tulare the one and only year i made it there
had a 4-152T, my first in-person viewing of one.

i thought i'd read or heard somewhere that there were turbo-equipped 196s,
but i have been unable to verify this as fact.

on this same subject, the Crismon book quotes IH literature referring to the
4-152T as "with 115 horsepower on demand" (Crismon, P. 357, bottom left,
Champagne Scout caption), and "turbocharger which kicked in and then
produced exra horsepower when required, with a noticeable drop in fuel
mileage" (Crismon, page 379, 4th paragraph).  what exactly does that mean?
i thought turbochargers were fulltime, not "on demand".  what gives?  is
this a misprint or was the turbo on the 4-152T a part-time operation?  can
someone explain this to me, please?

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde