Re: mergers & Sprinters from dodge.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Sohm" <idaemes@domain.elided>
To: "mark stegmann" <truckdriver_1977@domain.elided>; "IHdigest"
<ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:48 PM
Subject: Re: mergers & Sprinters from dodge.

> I didn't go to the web page to look, but I drove next to a Freightliner
> Sprinter in Ames, Iowa yesterday. I assume it is the same animal?  I
thought
> the newer GM vans had a high roof, I'm sure you can stand straight up in a
> Sprinter!  Yes, even Allan E could.   Looked like it had a miserable COG
> me.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Ed
UPS now has a bunch of them for the less populated area here.  The drivers
seem to really like them.  And they are surprisingly stable.

 A year ago when I test drove one, I was impressed with the acceleration,
and the handling.  But I could not see a way to put a snow plow and crane
boom on it while using it for a motor home.

And for some mysterious reason, I seem to have this fixation for the IH.
Last week we were out cutting wood, a I would place the but of log under the
bumper and stiff leg it out by lifting it up with the crane boom.  It's nice
not to bend over to the ground while using a chain saw,  [VBG]

Yes, it is a 3 liter 5 cyl Turbo diesel.  When loaded on a 100 mile drive
they are supposed to get 22 mpg.  They also have a 5 speed automatic, with
the option to upshift or downshift a gear at a time by moving the lever
sideways.  One way for up the other for down, and it would stay in that
gear.

            Three years ago there was a brochure that indicated a
possibility of a flat bed version, and other options.  If my info. is
correct, Daimler marketed it through Freightliner in order to get around the
diesel requirements for passenger cars?  Cheers Jim A.