Re: tanks

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 05:33  PM, Ryan Moore wrote:

IH content:  I don't think my scout will come even close to that 60
degree
upslope....

Highway 108 crosses the Sierra Nevadas over what we call Sonora pass.
There is a sign on the Eastern side that says that the highway ahead is
 a 37 degree climb (coming West).

My 78 SSII pulling a small trailer just couldnt do it in high range. I
had changed the hubs from auto hubs to manual hubs just for this
purpose. Id leave the hubs disengaged and put the TC in low range and
crawl up the mountain. Mostly a breathing problem at the 9000 foot
elevation. I worried some about rear axles with the low range and 2
wheel drive, but never popped one.

My Dodge diesel engages the front axles with a vacuum controlled
device. Ive put an electrically operated valve in that vacuum line so
that I can be in 2 wheel drive low range. Not much worried about
popping an axle in that big Dana, which I think is an 80.

John Hofstetter