Re: Dana 18 VS. Dana 20.

> Binders, please riddle me this:
> Is a Dana 18 any stronger than a Dana 20?

No, weaker.

> Dana 18s were all twin stick and Dana 20s were Single stick, right?

No, early Dana 20s were twin-stick.

> Is a Dana 18 really just a Dana 20 with a twin stick?

No, the 18 is always an offset rear output, with 2.46 gears.

> Same shift pattern for a single stick on a Dana 18 as with a Dana 20?

I don't think the 18 came single-stick.  I also think the 18 has one stick
for high/low, one for 2/4, while a twin-stick Dana 20 has one stick for
Front high/N/low, and one for Rear high/N/low

> Is the bolt pattern mounting the same for Dana 18 as for Dana 20?

Yep

> Basically, can I put a Dana 18 in directly where there was Dana 20?

Swap the bullgear, and "probably" though many Dana 18s came with a smaller
"input" hole and other things that may make it difficult.

Of course, the fact that the rear output is offset could be an issue (or
an advantage), too.

They're also supposed to be noisier, since you're ALWAYS running through
the gears.