Re: Correct me, Howard

>Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:34:55 -0700
>From: John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Correct me, Howard
>
>On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 09:08  AM, Howard R Pletcher wrote:
>
>> Here is the list of brands that are controlled by Daimler/Freightliner
>> at
>> this time, as best I can keep track of it:
>>
>> Freightliner
>> Sprinter Vans
>> Sterling (Ford)
>> Western Star
>> Mercedes Benz
>> Detroit Diesel
>> American LaFrance
>> Thomas Bus
>> ?% of Mitsubishi
>> 10% of Hyundai
>>
>> Howard
>>
>Mein Gott im Himmel, ve Germans von the var after all. Now ve haf to
>figure out how to get the car business avay from our former Asian
>allies.
>
>Johann

     Actually, they may have already figured out how to do that...  The
short version of the 2002 Annual Report states that they are "Strategic
Partners" with Fuso, Mitsubishi Motors and Hyundai.  Does anyone know if
Fuso the truck division of Mitsubishi?  Their logos are the same shape, just
slightly different colors in my copy.  Anyway, I thought Fuso made trucks
but I might be wrong.
     Also, the report says the DC Commercial Vehicles Division consists of K
SETRA [I am not familiar with this brand, the "K" is inside a circle before
the word "SETRA", Mercedes-Benz [which manufactures the Sprinters and
UniMogs that are imported and sold through Freightliner in the US],
Freightliner, Sterling and Western Star.
        Mike