Hot Starters

I haven't followed the entire thread, but..

I (knock on wood!) haven't lost a starter since I switched to a remote
Ford solenoid.

I used to have periodic hot-start problems, but not ONCE since I went to
the Ford solenoid.

I mount the Ford solenoid to the firewall, and move the wires from the
starter to the solenoid.

I then buy a ~24" 4gauge side-mount battery cable.  I cut the acc.
connector from the battery end, and replace it with a ring terminal.

The battery terminal gets attached to the big Starter terminal, while the
ring connector goes to the S on the GM solenoid.  The other end of this
battery cable goes to the Ford solenoid.

Haven't had a problem since.  Cheaper than a MG, and easier than a heat
shield.  Bonus - if you DO have to drop the starter, you don't have to
pull the battery cable, since the starter solenoid (on the starter) isn't
hot, unless you turn the key to START.

So in many ways, it's a lot safer, too.  Even if the cable grounds to the
headers, you won't burn your Scout down (unless you're trying to start it,
of course).

-Tom