re: Travelette powertrain.. brownies..

----- Original Message -----
From: <tsm1@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: <tsm1@domain.elided>; "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>;
<ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 12:13
Subject: Re: Travelette powertrain.. brownies..

> > yeah, but it's the principle of being able to use everything at the same
> > time.   :)
> >
> > What about say you're pulling a f@rd or chebby out from where they are
> > stuck, it'd give you a slightly lower gear to use to pull them out.
>
> Actually, it's my intention to mount the brownie *backwards*.  The unit I
> have is a 1:1, 1.3:1, 1.5:1 underdrive.  I don't need any lower gearing
> (wide box, 4.30 gears).. I'd mount it backwards and use it as an OD.  The
> 1.3 under will split the gears of a wide T19 just as well in "OD" as it
> does "UD", and I could get a taller final drive.

Ah, I guess that'd be a good reason for it not to matter so much.... um,
what if you wanted to go a little faster in low range on the t-case?  (That
gap between low range and high range as far as gearing).. ok it probobly
would be just as well to mount the brownie in the back...

> As far as vehicle recovery.. it's STILL a 166" WB pickup, and still the
> nicest thing I own.. if I need to go recover a stuck Ford or Chevy, that's
> what my Scout is for. :D

I'm talking hypothetically if you're on the  road and want to show off what
your IH can do...

> Oh.. if I did mount the brownie in UD and between the T19 and NP205, and
> ran 2wd low range.. then I might start fearing for the RA-15's axle
> shafts.. or in 4x4 the 30sp stubs in the front 60 (or Selectro hubs).

The RA-15s axle shafts?   I don't know if even you can break those....  ;)

Seriously though, I've never heard of anyone breaking an RA-15, have you?

-Ryan