Re: The Solution & Another Exhausting Problem: (Was: Re: When It Rains, It's Dead!)

Hofs, Colin, Pete, et al....
I would NOT use ANY type of expanding foam inside of any body panels, period!
Soft, hard, in between. I've seen too many examples of what happens after a
couple of years in the areas where the foam is. It traps water and any other
corrosives (road salt, etc) and speeds the rusting of your jewel by a bunch.
My neighbor went through his 87 Chevy 4x4 pickup body about three years ago-
new patch panels, new paint. But he also used 'Great Stuff' type foam inside
the door bottoms, cab corners, where the wheel arch meets the outer quarter-
basically all the places he fixed. It is now just about as bad as it was
before he fixed it, and he sadly admits that the foam was a very bad idea! As
a comparison, my buddy and I did his 80 Chevy 4x4 in all of the same areas,
nearly ten years ago. It's in five times better shape than my neighbors, but
we didn't use foam and we rustproofed it well. I parted out a Scout II that
without the use of foam, might have still been a roadable vehicle- but
everywhere they put foam (between the inner trim and the outer skin of the
top, inside the rear quarters, and inside the front fender bottoms) was
totally gone. Looked at another Scout II at an auction today that also had
foam sprayed in some of the body cavities, namely the front bottom edge of the
front fenders. Not seen too many Scout II's rusted badly in that area- this
one was! So, my experience is, if you live anyplace that gets over about an
inch of rain a year and has humidity higher than 20%, stay away from the
foam.
Dennis