Re: When It Rains, It's Dead!

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 09:29  AM, Allan Ericson wrote:

The fastest check is to jump the S terminal to the BAT terminal on the
starter.
Absolutely.

This is most easily done if you have wired the starter terminals to a place
where you can reach them. For this reason alone, the remote solenoid fix is
worth the trouble. The parts are under 12 bucks total, and it can be done in
less than an hour if you have hand tools and a way to mount the remote
relay.
Absolutely again. The Ford solenoid interrupts the wire from the S terminal on the solenoid. So you cut that wire and fasten both ends to the new solenoid. I run a heavy wire from the battery to one of the big terminals on the new solenoid. The wire coming up from the S terminal goes to the other big terminal on the Ford solenoid. The key end of the wire that came from the S terminal goes to the small terminal on the Ford solenoid.

Easy and quick. Besides that, it gives you a dandy source of battery power for other uses. As Ryan has said and Allan has indicated, the Delco solenoid fails to respond because of a weak signal from the ignition switch and the under-the-hood relay. In every case in my experience that weak solenoid is capable of activating the Ford solenoid, and it sends a strong signal to the Delco.

My phone number is 209-728-0841 and you are welcome to call me if you need help faster than by e-mail.

John